Have you ever started to trash a candle container and thought, “This is too pretty to throw away,” then went ahead and threw it away? Yep, we hear that from customers all the time—because what else are you supposed to do with it?—which is why we were super excited to put together this complete guide for repurposing candle containers! From cleaning out old wax to turning your containers into lovely, practical pieces to be incorporated throughout your home, we’ve got everything you need to know to get the most out of our Orleans Home Fragrances candles below.
Getting It Clean
First things first: You have to clean out your candle container before you can do absolutely anything with it. And it’s way easier than you think! No need to scrape out wax! Just follow these 7 steps, and yours will be ready to repurpose in no time:
- Peel off the label as best you can. If the label doesn’t come off completely, no worries! We’ll handle that in Step 2.
- Rub off any remaining parts of the label. Using cotton pads and rubbing alcohol (or a couple of drops of lemon essential oil!), scrub the outside of the container until all remnants of the label are gone.
- Boil water and pour it into the container. Heat water (about 2.5 cups) until it comes to a boil. Then place the container in the sink, and pour the still boiling water inside it.
- Place the container in the freezer for 15 minutes. With the container still full of water, place it in the freezer. Be careful not to spill it! Then set a timer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the container from the freezer, and dump out the water. You should see pieces of wax coming off as you do.
- Rinse out the container, and scrub the inside. Whatever did not come off in Step 6 should easily do so now. Continue scrubbing until every bit of the wax and residue is removed.
- Wipe down the container. You’ll want the container to be dry for whatever you do next!
Turning it into Something Great
There are many ways to transform your empty candle containers—it all just depends on your taste, needs, and style! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Planter. If you’re a “plant parent,” this one’s for you! Fill your old candle container with soil, and plant a succulent or small flower inside! This will add a little beauty, nature, and class to any window sill, countertop, or porch.
- Drinking glass. Who would have thought to turn a candle container into a cup?! Since our containers are sturdy, lightweight, and made of glass, they make the ideal drinking glass for cocktails and beverages of any kind!
- Cotton ball or Q-Tip holder. Still stuffing your bathroom drawers with all of your skincare and makeup items? Well, now can finally be the time to de-stuff and simplify your routine without spending a dime! Store your cotton balls, cotton pads, or Q-Tips in one of our candle containers, and place them next to your sink as a sophisticated piece of decor.
- Accessory organizer. Speaking of storage, who needs a container store when you already have a snazzy organizer? Throw your bracelets or watches into one of our containers for easy access to your accessories (on your dresser or wherever you get ready!). This will help you cut out the clutter and remember to actually wear what you own!
- Snack container. Need a little somethin’-somethin’ to make those countertops look a little less bare? Or just looking for a way to sort through your pantry? Utilize our candle containers for storing chocolate kisses, almonds, peanuts, or whatever else you and/or your kids love to grab on-the-go. Nobody will have to wonder where the snacks are now!
Now that you have access to all this information, we hope you never have a reason to throw out your beautiful Orleans Home Fragrances candle containers. We hope you find the perfect way to reuse our containers, and if you do, please tag us on social media! Happy repurposing!